Frequently Asked Questions
Rates and Policies:
What are your rates for lodging, meals, and activities?
What is your Deposit Policy?
The deposit amount is 50% of the lodging amount if lodging only,
30% of the total contract amount if meal service, day use, meeting space, activities, or any combination with lodging. Deposit is due within two weeks of the date the contract is issued.
What is your Cancellation Policy?
Cancellations must be made at least 2 weeks prior to event. Cancellations must be made in writing to Heartland Center, faxed to 816-891-3453, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow up phone call is appreciated. Groups that cancel less than 2 weeks prior to event will still be charged for full contracted amount. See “Refund Policy” below for cancellations made more than 2 weeks prior to event.
What is your Refund Policy?
This policy applies to cancelled contracts or any lodging (individual hotel room and/or retreat lodge), meeting space, meal service, or activity removed from a contract. Refunds are based on the following time schedule:
Less than 2 weeks prior to event -- No deposit refunded and full contracted amount due.
2 weeks to 90 days prior to event – No deposit refunded.
90 days to 180 days prior to event – 50% of deposit refunded.
More than 180 days prior – full deposit refunded.
How many people can your facility sleep?
- Heartland has 60 beds total in our two hotel-style lodges. These are a mix of twin and full sized beds.
- Heartland has 124 beds total in our four retreat-style lodges. These are a mix of twin and bunk beds.
- That's 184 beds total!
- Click to View: Lodging
Who is in charge of room assignments?
- Group leaders are responsible for individual guest room assignments and day-of registration.
Do you have floor plans and room rosters?
- Click to view: Nunemaker Floor Plan and Roster
- Click to view: Cray Floor Plan and Roster
- Click to view: House of Faith Floor Plan and Roster
- Click to view: Oak Place Floor Plan and Roster
- Click to view: Trask Floor Plan and Roster
- Click to view: Pete's Cabin Floor Plan and Roster
Are there set check-in and check-out times?
- Check-in for guests staying in our hotel-style lodge is 4pm. Check-out is 10am.
- Check-in and check-out times for guests staying in our retreat-style lodges will be coordinated with the group leader and Heartland Staff.
- Group leaders are responsible for all individual guest registrations, rooms assignments, and day-of registrations.
Are linens and towels provided?
- Linens and towels are provided in our hotel-style lodging.
- Linens and towels are not provided in out retreat-style lodging unless arranged with the group leader and Heartland Staff ahead of time.
What is required of my group prior to departure?
- Guests staying in our hotel-style lodges and/or using Heartland linens are required to strip the linens from their beds and gather their bath towels before they check out of their room or lodge.
- Guests or group leaders are required to gather trash from their hotel rooms, retreat lodges, and meeting spaces and place it in the dumpster on-site before final departure.
Where is the closest airport?
- Kansas City International Airport is located just 15 minutes from Heartland Center.
Do you provide a shuttle service?
- Reasonably priced shuttle services to the airport can be arranged in advance with KCI Express Shuttle at KCIExpressShuttle.com or Super Shuttle at 1-800-BLUE-VAN and SuperShuttle.com
Do I need to schedule activities ahead of time or can I decide when I arrive?
- All paid activities must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance through your group leader. Click to view our activities page for pricing and requirements: Activities
- Complementary Activities are always available and do not need to be scheduled ahead of time. They are first come, first served. Click to view: Complimentary Activities
Do activity participants need to fill out any forms?
- Yes, all participants in paid activities must fill out a current Release of Liability & Health form before participating.
- Click to view: Release of Liability & Health Form
Are there age requirements for activities?
- All participants in The Edge, The Summit, Clip, or Trail Rides must be 10 years old and completed 4th grade.
- There are no age restrictions for swimming, archery, or any of the complimentary activities.
How do I communicate my group's needs for our high ropes or team building activity?
- We'll ask the group leader to fill out an Adventure Activity Needs Assessment. This will help our facilitators get to know your group before they arrive so they can plan the best experience.
- Click to view: Adventure Activities-Needs Assessment Sheet
What else is there to do in the area?
- Click to View: Local Attractions
Who plans the menu?
- Our talented Heartland Kitchen Staff will plan your menu.
- Click to view: Sample Menu
Where are meals served?
- Meals are served buffet-style in Grace Hall at set times.
- Click to view: Meal Services
Will I be dining with other guest groups?
- If you are staying at Heartland Center on a weekend, it is more than likely that you'll be eating with another guest group on site. Don't worry, we have plenty of seating and will add additional buffet lines if necessary.
Is there a minimum number of people required?
- Yes, 12 people are required for us to provide food service.
What if someone in my group has a food allergy or dietary restriction?
Special dietary requests will be honored whenever possible (vegetarian, gluten-free, peanut allergy, etc.). Please make arrangements for special dietary needs at least 2 weeks in advance.
Can I prepare my own meals?
- Guests staying in our retreat-style lodges have the option of preparing their own meals. Retreat lodge kitchens have all major appliances, but are not stocked with any pots, pans, plates, utensils, etc. *Guests preparing their own meals do not have access to Heartland's commercial kitchen or dining hall.
Can we bring our own snacks?
- Sure! Groups staying in our hotel-style and retreat-style lodges are both welcomed to bring snacks to keep in their lodge or meeting space.
Do you have a map?
What else can I do on site if I have free time?
- Take a hike on any of our walking trails. Click to View: Trail Map
- Play a round of 9 or 18 baskets on our Disc Golf course. Click to View: Disc Golf Map
- Get a group together for a game of sand volleyball, pick-up basketball, or horseshoes.
- Spend time reflecting or praying on our Prayer Trail, at our Labyrinth, or in our Bell Garden.
- Plan an evening camp fire at one of our 11 fire rings. Firewood is provided. Group is responsible for making and tending to the fire. Don't forget to bring s'more supplies!
- All Heartland Center facilities are smoke-free.
- Firearms, fireworks, alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are all prohibited at Heartland Center.
- Permission may be granted for groups to use alcohol for special occasions or services.
- Pets, other than service dogs, are not allowed at Heartland Center.
- Campfires are permitted in designated areas only. Groups must extinguish fires after use.
- Participants in Heartland Center activities (Challenge course, archery, horses) must use Heartland Center equipment. No personal helmets, harnesses, or archery equipment may be used.
Children and Youth under 18 years old must be supervised by adults at all times. Heartland Center requires that groups never allow adults to be in a one-on-one situation with minors other than their own family. (Youth to Adult Ratios. Under 7 years old: 1 Adult : 5 Youth... 7 years to 10 years : 1 Adult : 6 Youth... 11 years to 14 years : 1 Adult : 7 Youth... 15 years to 18 years: 1 Adult : 8 Youth... Adults must be over 21 years old.)